Speed of pg_dump -l -s (List Schema) Variations

From: o(dot)blomqvist(at)secomintl(dot)com (Otto Blomqvist)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Speed of pg_dump -l -s (List Schema) Variations
Date: 2004-06-25 15:47:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

I have a small database (10MB gz dump). When I do a pg_dump -l -s (to
list the schema) of the original database it takes below 1 second. But
when I do dump of a copy of the database (using a full restore into a
new DB) it takes like 10-15 seconds to do the schema list (pg_dump -l
-s). I need to compare the schemes of about 20 tables and this takes a
while... Anyone have any ideas ? I can't figure out why the newly
created copy would be so much slower.

Thanks

/Otto Blomqvist