Re: Reducing output size of nodeToString

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michel Pelletier <pelletier(dot)michel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Reducing output size of nodeToString
Date: 2024-01-31 08:16:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 30.01.24 12:26, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>> Most of the other defaults I'm doubtful about. First, we are colliding
>> here between the goals of minimizing the storage size and making the
>> debug output more readable.
> I've never really wanted to make the output "more readable". The
> current one is too verbose, yes.

My motivations at the moment to work in this area are (1) to make the
output more readable, and (2) to reduce maintenance burden of node
support functions.

There can clearly be some overlap with your goals. For example, a less
verbose and less redundant output can ease readability. But it can also
go the opposite direction; a very minimalized output can be less readable.

I would like to understand your target more. You have shown some
figures how these various changes reduce storage size in pg_rewrite.
But it's a few hundred kilobytes, if I read this correctly, maybe some
megabytes if you add a lot of user views. Does this translate into any
other tangible benefits, like you can store more views, or processing
views is faster, or something like that?