Re: Proposal: Save user's original authenticated identity for logging

From: Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com>
To: "sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "magnus(at)hagander(dot)net" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Save user's original authenticated identity for logging
Date: 2021-02-01 22:40:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2021-02-01 at 17:01 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Jacob Champion (pchampion(at)vmware(dot)com) wrote:
> > And I'm not holding
> > my breath for LDAP servers to start implementing federated identity,
> > though that would be nice.
>
> Not sure exactly what you're referring to here but AD already provides
> Kerberos with cross-domain trusts (aka forests). The future is here..?
> :)

If the end user is actually using LDAP-on-top-of-AD, and comfortable
administering the Kerberos-related pieces of AD so that their *nix
servers and users can speak it instead, then sure. But I continue to
hear about customers who don't fit into that mold. :D Enough that I
have to keep an eye on the "pure" LDAP side of things, at least.

> > To double-check -- since giving this ability to the pg_read_all_stats
> > role would expand its scope -- could that be dangerous for anyone?
>
> I don't agree that this really expands its scope- in fact, you'll see
> that the GSSAPI and SSL user authentication information is already
> allowed under HAS_PGSTAT_PERMISSIONS().

Ah, so they are. :) I think that's the way to go, then.

--Jacob