Re: inherited table and rules

From: Scott Frankel <leknarf(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inherited table and rules
Date: 2005-03-23 05:59:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Syntax troubles.

What is the proper syntax for using FROM ONLY table_name in an UPDATE
statement?
According to the docs, In a FROM clause, I should be able to use the
ONLY keyword
preceding the table name. This throws an error:

UPDATE FROM ONLY people SET color = 'cyan' WHERE usr_pkey = 1;

What is the proper syntax for specifying FROM ONLY in the inheritance
statement?
This also throws an error:

CREATE TABLE people_history (
hist_pkey SERIAL NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
hist_tstamp timestamp DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
) INHERITS ONLY (people);

What does GUC stand for? ;)

Thanks!
Scott