Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review

From: usleepless(at)gmail(dot)com
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL banner for tradeshows -- art to review
Date: 2007-07-10 22:02:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dear All,

On 7/10/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> > On 7/10/07, *Josh Berkus* <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com <mailto:josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>>
> > wrote:
>
> > Light grey background, Off-center Elephant Logo, 1/2 on left side of
> > banner or similar position, Text "PostgreSQL: The world's most
> > open source database" slightly overlapping, with white border for
> > clarity. Try also royal blue background with photo of real elephant
> > face, same configuration.
> >
> > --Josh Berkus
> >

> > Brand Awareness 101:
> > see Elephant
> > think PostgreSQL
> >
> > example
> > http://www.idea-sandbox.com/blog/the_brand/
> >

> Which is exactly why on *both* of the designs the actual Pg elephant was
> used. Great example Mike.

IANAGG ( i am not a graphics guru ), nonetheless:

i would opt for the big one ( http://www.openvein.com/ext/postgresql_sign_art.jpg )
- elephants are big
- big is unavoidable, ie: you can't miss it
- remove the "The Worlds' Most Advanced jadajadajada"
- if you really want some text there: "Fast + Features: Fenomenal."

also, the idea of making a banner with a photographic image of an elephant appeals to me: it could be very powerfull if done well. i understand it is not a viable alternative for this occasion.

regards,

usleep