Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption

From: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Client-side password encryption
Date: 2005-12-21 20:16:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/21/05, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
> > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> >

> > > So it's only an issue if you have a policy of removing old versions of
> > > libpq on upgrades... I'm not sure what's "best practice" on windows in
> > > this area.
> >
> > When removing the application (in this case: pgsql), you'd remove that
> > old lib as well if it's the only app using it. If you have another
> > application installed, the deinstaller should observe this, and keep the
> > version.
> >

> > I'm voting +1 for lib name versions.
>
> If you add a version number to the Win32 libpq name, you have to update
> any command-line compile tools that mention libpq after an upgrade. The
> Unix linker knows about version numbers, but the Win32 linker doesn't,
> so adding version numbers does add quite a bit of chaos to the Win32
> compile world.

win32 compile world *is* a chaos... it's very frustating when you try
to run a program and it fails because a library (when you actually has
the library, at least _a_ version of the library)...

IMHO, adding version numbers to the name of library for windows is a
the cleanest thing you can do...

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova