Re: How do I get an OID from a record in table?

From: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Norberto Meijome <sys(at)meijome(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do I get an OID from a record in table?
Date: 2005-11-29 13:55:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 11/29/05, Norberto Meijome <sys(at)meijome(dot)net> wrote:
> Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On 11/26/05, Scott Simpson <Scott(dot)Simpson(at)computer(dot)org> wrote:

> If I create a table with an OID field type, how do I set that field
> type?
That is, I have to look up the OID value in another table somewhere to
> set
my OID field and I don't know how to do that. (I'm trying to get one
> field
to point to another record). ADVthanksANCE.

> SELECT oid FROM your_referenced_table;

oid is an especial field that is
> present in all row unless you had
specified WITHOUT OIDS...

i think in 8.1
> WITHOUT OIDS is the DEFAULT...

it's not a good idea to do what you want to
> do... use a serial instead

> Jaime,
> if one is not specifically using OIDs (as you described above), is there
> any advantage to have tables defined WITH OIDs ? would it be better to alter
> the tables to WITHOUT OID (and then pg_dump and load again, i guess)
>
> thanks!
> Beto

The preferred way is to not use OID's in user tables... but AFAICS,
you will have no problem if you simply let them there (there is no
need for ALTERing and DUMPing)... i don't know if it will be a
reduction in the space if you don't have OIDs, will be?

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova