Re: Function to promote standby servers

From: Ian Barwick <ian(dot)barwick(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function to promote standby servers
Date: 2018-10-26 02:28:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

On 10/25/2018 09:47 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> And committed. I double-checked the code, and tweaked a bit the tests
> so as the test using wait_mode = false is removed as it did not seem
> worth the extra cycles. I also added a check on the return value of
> pg_promote when using the wait mode. Another thing was that the
> function needs to be parallel-restricted.

Documentation for this [*] says "Returns true if promotion is successful and false otherwise",
which is not correct if "wait" is false, as it will always return TRUE.

[*] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-RECOVERY-CONTROL

Attached patch contains a suggested rewording to clarify this.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
Ian Barwick http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc-pg-promote.patch text/x-patch 1.8 KB