converting to MD5

From: owenn panng <trilogy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: converting to MD5
Date: 2004-10-19 18:00:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi there, I was wondering what is needed to done on both the postgres
& client side to connect via MD5. Right now, we are connecting fine
by just specifying password in pg_hba.conf:
host database user xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx password

But I would like to change this to use:
host database user xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx md5

I have the user stored in pg_shadow (note: the passwd listed is not
the real one):
usename | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper | usecatupd |
passwd | valuntil | useconfig
user | 100 | t | f | f |
md59033f409a99f207fa816b990467a9999 | |

On the client side, we are using pg74.215.jdbc2.jar with code based on
the example given on
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/pgjdbc.html

String url = "jdbc:postgresql://" + host + "/" + database;
try {
Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");

con =
DriverManager.getConnection(url, userID, password);

}

I can generate the same password that matches the one stored in
pg_shadow. So how do I specify that the password I am sending is in
MD5? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, O.