Re: Invalid idle_in_transaction_session_timeout data type

From: Alex <cdalxndr(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Invalid idle_in_transaction_session_timeout data type
Date: 2021-03-11 12:23:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

In my opinion, it would be more clear if "Numeric with Unit" would be
specified on that property documentation, so that I can search more about
what that means (eventually a link pointing to details).
I saw "(integer)" so I assumed `show idle_in_transaction_session_timeout `
will return an integer.
To actually deduce its format I should read much more documentation, and
the average user usually fast searches and scans documents only for
keywords.
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/runtime-config-client.html
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/runtime-config-client.html>
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/runtime-config-client.html
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/runtime-config-client.html> > shows
that `idle_in_transaction_session_timeout` is integer, bug you can set
text values '30s' and `show idle_in_transaction_session_timeout`
returns `30s` not an integer.
Documentation should be updated to include this data field format.
The documentation says:
"If this value is specified without units, it is taken as milliseconds."
If the value is specified with units, it follows the rule described here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/config-setting.html
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/config-setting.html>
"Numeric with Unit: Some numeric parameters have an implicit unit,
because they describe quantities of memory or time. The unit might be
bytes, kilobytes, blocks (typically eight kilobytes), milliseconds,
seconds, or minutes."
:
:
"Valid time units are us (microseconds), ms (milliseconds), s
(seconds), min (minutes), h (hours), and d (days)."
So I see no problem with the document.
Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii