Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Fabien COELHO" <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>,"PostgreSQL Developers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
Date: 2019-07-24 12:59:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO wrote:

> >> I'd go further and suggest that there shouldn't be a variable
> >> controlling this. All results that come in should be processed, period.
> >
> > I agree with that.
>
> I kind of agree as well, but I was pretty sure that someone would complain
> if the current behavior was changed.

If queries in a compound statement must be kept silent,
they can be converted to CTEs or DO-blocks to produce the
same behavior without having to configure anything in psql.
That cost on users doesn't seem too bad, compared to introducing
a knob in psql, and presumably maintaining it forever.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite