Re: [proposal] recovery_target "latest"

From: Grigory Smolkin <g(dot)smolkin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [proposal] recovery_target "latest"
Date: 2019-11-06 09:33:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This seems to also be related to this discussion:
> <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/993736dd3f1713ec1f63fc3b653839f5(at)lako(dot)no>

Yes, in a way. Strengthening current lax recovery behavior is a very
good idea.

> I like this idea.
>
> I don't like the name "latest".  What does that mean?  Other
> documentation talks about the "end of the archive".  What does that
> mean?  It means until restore_command errors.  Let's think of a name
> that reflects that better.  Maybe "all_archive" or something like that.

As with "immediate", "latest" reflects the latest possible state this
PostgreSQL instance can achieve when using PITR. I think it is simple
and easy to understand for an end user, which sees PITR as a way to go
from one state to another. In my experience, at least, which is, of
course, subjective.

But if we want an argument name to be technically accurate, then, I
think, something like "end-of-available-WAL"/"all-WAL", "end-of-WAL" is
a way to go.

--
Grigory Smolkin
The Russian Postgres Company