Distributed Applications

From: "Ross, Brenton" <brenton(dot)ross(at)transigo(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Distributed Applications
Date: 1998-07-15 23:37:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

I am planning to do a distributed application (using CORBA), with
PostgreSQL as the supporting DBMS. What I need is a means of getting
the separate processes to share in a single transaction.

I have prototyped up a program which can do this by opening a connection
to the DBMS and then accepting connections from the application
processes and passing the data straight through. (It catches the
opening and closing stuff.) This seems to work OK.

I had to assume that the file descriptors for the connection would be
always the same. I see in one of the postings that there will soon be
call that can get this. I also have made some extreme assumptions about
the connection protocol - but I can use the source code to handle this
later. (I am only using 6.2 at the moment.)

I was wondering if anyone else was working on this problem. I did see a
reference to distributed databases in a recent posting, but not support
for distributed applications. My guess is that there will a lot of
demand for this in the near future.

Brenton

PS - I only subscribe to the interface digest, so I would appreciate
replies being copied direct to me.