Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT

From: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: James Rogers <jamesr(at)best(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Kernels and O_DIRECT
Date: 2003-10-16 00:49:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom> I tend to agree with the opinion that Oracle's architecture
Tom> is based on twenty-year-old assumptions. Back then it was
Tom> reasonable to assume that database-specific algorithms could
Tom> outperform a general-purpose operating system. In today's
Tom> environment that assumption is not a given.

In fact:

Michael Stonebraker: Operating System Support for Database Management.
CACM 24(7): 412-418 (1981)

Abstract:

Several operating system services are examined with a
view toward their applicability to support of database
management functions. These services include buffer pool
management; the file system; scheduling, process
management, and interprocess communication; and
consistency control.

--
Pip-pip
Sailesh