Ammunition / store.pgsql.com

From: acc(at)anthonychavez(dot)org
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Ammunition / store.pgsql.com
Date: 2003-08-13 22:42:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Fellow PostgreSQL advocates:

For those that don't know me (most of you), let me introduce myself.

My name is Anthony Chavez, a software/network engineer, originally from
Salt Lake City, Utah (currently residing in Ogden). I have had the
pleasure of being a PostgreSQL architect/administrator for almost 5
years now, though things in my life have been moving so frantically that
I haven't had time to really contribute anything to the project,
unfortunately. That's got to change. ;-)

I'm writing to you today for two reasons. First of all, it has been
brought to my attention that the "Community Advocate for MySQL" will be
making an appearance (see below) at the local Linux User's Group.
Though I don't want to come across as a troll, I would like to take the
opportunity to do some advocacy of my own. I'd like to have a firm
grasp on the differences between PostgreSQL and MySQL and what, exactly,
makes PostgreSQL outshine.

The main reason that I chose PostgreSQL as my focus all these years is a
simple (and important) one: ACID compliance. But beyond that, I'm
clueless. I don't have as much exposure to MySQL as I should. So any
pointers and ammo that you can offer would certainly be appreciated.

My second question---somewhat related to my first request---is this:
what has happened with store.pgsql.com? I had a pretty decent thread
going with the salespeople about the possibility of getting some
PostgreSQL wear in larger sizes (XXL), but it suddenly ceased and I have
yet to receive any responses to my e-mails. I also tried writing Marc
Fournier, who responded initially, but didn't respond to any of my other
e-mails.

I am very eager to get some shirts, and this announcement reminded me
that I needed to do something about it.

Hope to hear from you soon!

--
Anthony Chavez http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc(at)anthonychavez(dot)org jabber:acc(at)jabber(dot)anthonychavez(dot)org