Re: Add version macro to libpq-fe.h

From: Boris Kolpackov <boris(at)codesynthesis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, alvaro(dot)herrera(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Subject: Re: Add version macro to libpq-fe.h
Date: 2021-06-18 13:52:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think putting a version number as such in there is a truly
> horrid idea. However, I could get behind adding a boolean flag
> that says specifically whether the pipeline feature exists.
> Then you'd do something like
>
> #ifdef LIBPQ_HAS_PIPELINING
>
> rather than embedding knowledge of exactly which release
> added that.

That would be even better, but I agree with what others have
said: we would have to keep adding such feature test macros
going forward.

I think ideally you would want to have both since the version
macro could still be helpful in dealing with "features" that you
did not plan to add (aka bugs).

> Comparing v13 and v14 libpq-fe.h, I see that there is a solution
> available now: "#ifdef PQ_QUERY_PARAM_MAX_LIMIT".

Hm, it must have been added recently since I don't see it in 14beta1.
But thanks for the pointer, if nothing better comes up this will
have to do.