Re: Max connections

From: Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Max connections
Date: 2009-08-11 05:50:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj(at)illumen(dot)com>wrote:

> I am setting up a test environment to simulate a very high load. We have
> a server farm which is receiving data (cold be thousands of simultaneous
> users posting data). I currently have max_connections set to 500 and the
> server is starting ok. If I try to increase the max_connections to 1000,
> the server is unable to start. I am running a VM with 4GB RAM. Swap space
> is not being used, and the system is showing about 1.5GB of ram not being
> utilized.
>
> Are there any other config setting which should be changed together with
> max_connections to successfully start the postmaster?

Increasing max_connection will make PostgreSQL to request more System
Vshared memory or semaphores than your operating system's default
configuration allow. Did you tune/tweak the kernel options for that? Details
for those options can be found at

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC

--
Shoaib Mir