Re: Backup

From: "Shoaib Mir" <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Eduardo J(dot) Ortega" <ejortegau(at)cable(dot)net(dot)co>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup
Date: 2006-12-13 11:22:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

>> In addition, the backup is performed only everytime the WAL file is
filled; i need to take >>consistent backups every hour or so

You have the archive_timeout (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/runtime-config-wal.html) option
for that in PG 8.2 to achieve similar functionality

>>Well, I don't really like the fact that admin has to specify the archiving
and
>>restoring command; an error here (a lack of -i in cp, for example) may
render
>>the backup useless

You dont have to take the base backup again and again, just will be needing
the WAL archives to restore to a certain point, but if still you want to
take the backup you can easily write a cron job and schedule it.

>>If this is it, then I'll end up with an old level zero (i.e. full, base )
>>backup and A LOT of level 1 (i.e. transaction log) backup. I think it
should
>>be more like it's for Informix, where you ask the database to perform an
>>online level 0 backup (base); after this, it stores transaction logs on
disk,
>>which you can archive with level 1 backup.

I think that can be also possible using something similar to warm standby (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/warm-standby.html)

Hope this helps....

Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)