Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2017-04-28 06:13:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for taking a look.

On 2017/04/28 5:24, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>>> Do we need to update the documentation?
>>
>> Yes, I think we should. How about as in the attached?
>
> Looks reasonable, but I was thinking you might also update the section
> which contrasts inheritance-based partitioning with declarative
> partitioning.

It seems to me that there is no difference in behavior between
inheritance-based and declarative partitioning as far as statement-level
triggers are concerned (at least currently). In both the cases, we fire
statement-level triggers only for the table specified in the command.

Maybe, we will fix things someday so that statement-level triggers will be
fired for all the tables in a inheritance hierarchy when the root parent
is updated or deleted, but that's currently not true. We may never
implement that behavior for declarative partitioned tables though, so
there will be a difference if and when we implement the former.

Am I missing something?

>> By the way, code changes I made in the attached are such that a subsequent
>> patch could implement firing statement-level triggers of all the tables in
>> a partition hierarchy, which it seems we don't want to do. Should then
>> the code be changed to not create ResultRelInfos of all the tables but
>> only the root table (the one mentioned in the command)? You will see that
>> the patch adds fields named es_nonleaf_result_relations and
>> es_num_nonleaf_result_relations, whereas just es_root_result_relation
>> would perhaps do, for example.
>
> It seems better not to create any ResultRelInfos that we don't
> actually need, so +1 for such a revision to the patch.

OK, done. It took a bit more work than I thought.

Updated patch attached.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fire-per-statement-triggers-of-partitioned-tables.patch text/x-diff 27.9 KB