Re: System in Recovery Mode

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Michael Monnerie" <michael(dot)monnerie(at)it-management(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: System in Recovery Mode
Date: 2008-02-25 21:19:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Michael Monnerie <
michael(dot)monnerie(at)it-management(dot)at> wrote:

> On Montag, 25. Februar 2008 Aaron Bono wrote:
> > We did have a hard drive problem (errors on the drive) in the past
> > and they had to swap out a drive. It is a RAID configuration so no
> > backup/restore was necessary.
>
> Even with a RAID system, a broken hard drive that doesn't show that it's
> broken can cause severe data destroying: We've had this several times
> already, with different RAID and drive combinations, SATA and SCSI,
> doesn't matter. The symptom was that you write data to the drive, it
> says OK, but upon reading you receive other data than you wrote. Even
> RAID 1/5/6 doesn't help you here.
>
> Doesn't mean you have the same, but from what you wrote I just wanted to
> inform you that it's a fact that a single broken drive can destroy even
> a RAIDs data very nasty.
>
> mfg zmi

If I do a pg_dump from this potentially "bad" database and then use the
output to do a restore to a new DB on another server, aside from having some
data corrupted, would we be able to recover from this problem? If not, what
could I do to "fix" the data so the database stops having issues?

Thanks!
Aaron

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.