Re: where clause subqueries vs multiple rows results

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "James Cloos" <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: where clause subqueries vs multiple rows results
Date: 2006-09-11 04:54:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 9/10/06, James Cloos <cloos(at)jhcloos(dot)com> wrote:

> I've a query which I'd have liked to word akin to:
>
> SELECT guid FROM child WHERE the_fkey =
> ( SELECT id FROM parent WHERE name ~ 'some_regex' )
> ORDER BY the_fkey, my_pkey;
>
> I got around it by doing the SELECT id first, and then doing a SELECT
> guid for each row returned, appending the results together.
>
> Can that be done in a single query, insead of 1+n queries?

Will this work?

SELECT guid
FROM child
INNER JOIN parent ON (
child.the_fkey = parent.id
AND
)
WHERE name ~ 'some_regex'
ORDER BY
child.the_fkey,
child.my_pkey
;

I am not sure what table name is from but since you say it is n+1 queries I
assume it is from the child table? It would help to know what columns are
on which tables.

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
http://www.aranya.com