Re: Doubt about User-defined function.

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "sathiya moorthy" <mail2sathiyamoorthy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Doubt about User-defined function.
Date: 2006-07-15 22:10:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am really confused about what your question is. Functions can take zero
to many arguments and return one value. The argument types are different
from (or at least are independent of) the return value. Arguments are not
returned, they are passed into the function. Your use of the terminology
appears to be inconsistent with the definitions of these words.

-Aaron

On 7/15/06, sathiya moorthy <mail2sathiyamoorthy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have doubt about user-defined function returns value :
>
> * why function returns( accepts ) One attribute in the
> arguments of function/table, Otherwise it returns the whole record of the
> table. Function accept more than arguments .
> * Why it doesn`t return more than one arguments in
> the function (or) Attribute of that table.
>
> * Its like same as C-language function, Because in C
> function returns one value (or) structure/array of characters.
>
> * My question is, In psql user-defined function doesn`t
> returns more than one attribute. Is it possible (or) Not.
>
> Some examples :
> i) create function com2(text,integer) returns text as '
> select city.city from city,weather
> where weather.city=$1 AND city.pop>$2' language sql;
>
> Res : Return type of the function is Text, As well as
> it is one of the argument of function.
> ( At the type of returning, why it doesn`t
> also accepts integer ).
> ii) create function usrs_tab(text,integer) returns city as
> 'select city.city,city.pop,city.state from
> city,weather where weather.city=$1 AND city.pop>$2'
> language sql;
>
> Res : Return one record from City table ( table
> contains city, pop, state only ).

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
http://www.aranya.com