jacana hung after failing to acquire random number

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: jacana hung after failing to acquire random number
Date: 2016-12-11 00:06:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

jascana (mingw, 64 bit compiler, no openssl) is currently hung on "make
check". After starting the autovacuum launcher there are 120 messages on
its log about "Could not acquire random number". Then nothing.

So I suspect the problem here is commit
fe0a0b5993dfe24e4b3bcf52fa64ff41a444b8f1, although I haven't looked in
detail.

Shouldn't we want the postmaster to shut down if it's not going to go
further? Note that frogmouth, also mingw, which builds with openssl,
doesn't have this issue.

cheers

andrew