Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with layout on archives.postgresql.org
Date: 2009-11-15 13:16:23
Lists: pgsql-www

2009/11/15 hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>

> hi,
> i went to
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-09/msg00161.php
> as you can see it contains relatively long, unwrapped lines.
> the problem is that while my monitor has big enough resolution to
> display the line in whole, without any scrolling, original layout
> enforces huge amount of white space on the left side of page -
> effectively forcing scrolling to see page that would easily fit on my
> screen.
>
> here is screenshot:
> http://depesz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/archives.postgresql.org.shot.png
>
> do you think you could do something about it?
>
> Best regards,
>
> depesz

Which browser are you using?  I get the same problem when using
Firefox 3.5.5 on Firefox, but it's fine with Google Chrome 4.0.245.1
on Linux: http://darkixion.com/archives.postgresql.org.chrome.png

But yes, it is a problem because it's contained within <pre> tags
which should prevent line-wrapping.  Maybe the following CSS would fix
it:

pre
{
white-space: -moz-pre-wrap; /* Mozilla, supported since 1999 */
white-space: -pre-wrap; /* Opera 4 - 6 */
white-space: -o-pre-wrap; /* Opera 7 */
white-space: pre-wrap; /* CSS3 - Text module (Candidate
Recommendation)http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#white-space */
word-wrap: break-word; /* IE 5.5+ */
}

Thom