Re: Boolean partitions syntax

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Boolean partitions syntax
Date: 2018-01-29 02:45:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018/01/27 0:30, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:44 PM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> Attached updated patch.
>
> I wonder if this patch is just parser bloat without any real benefit.
> It can't be very common to want to partition on a Boolean column, and
> if you do, all this patch does is let you drop the quotes. That's not
> really a big deal, is it?

Yeah, maybe it isn't because Boolean partitioning is rarely used, but I
thought it wasn't nice that only the partition bound syntax requires
specifying the quotes around Boolean values. Apparently others felt the
same, because I only found out about this oversight after someone pointed
it out to me [1].

I agree that the patch is bigger than it had to be, which I have tried to
fix in the patch that I will post in reply to Tom's email on this thread.

Thanks,
Amit

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20171128.203915.26713586.horiguchi.kyotaro%40lab.ntt.co.jp