Re: ResourceOwner refactoring

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ResourceOwner refactoring
Date: 2023-11-07 11:24:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25/10/2023 21:07, Andres Freund wrote:
> It's not too awful to have it be in this order:
>
> struct ResourceOwnerData {
> ResourceOwner parent; /* 0 8 */
> ResourceOwner firstchild; /* 8 8 */
> ResourceOwner nextchild; /* 16 8 */
> const char * name; /* 24 8 */
> _Bool releasing; /* 32 1 */
> _Bool sorted; /* 33 1 */
> uint8 narr; /* 34 1 */
> uint8 nlocks; /* 35 1 */
> uint32 nhash; /* 36 4 */
> uint32 capacity; /* 40 4 */
> uint32 grow_at; /* 44 4 */
> ResourceElem arr[32]; /* 48 512 */
> /* --- cacheline 8 boundary (512 bytes) was 48 bytes ago --- */
> ResourceElem * hash; /* 560 8 */
> LOCALLOCK * locks[15]; /* 568 120 */
>
> /* size: 688, cachelines: 11, members: 14 */
> /* last cacheline: 48 bytes */
> };
>
> Requires rephrasing a few comments to document that the lenghts are separate
> from the array / hashtable / locks, but otherwise...

Hmm, let's move 'capacity' and 'grow_at' after 'arr', too. They are only
needed together with 'hash'.

> This reliably shows a decent speed improvement in my stress test [1], on the
> order of 5%.
>
> [1] pgbench running
> DO $$ BEGIN FOR i IN 1..5000 LOOP PERFORM abalance FROM pgbench_accounts WHERE aid = 17;END LOOP;END;$$;

I'm seeing similar results, although there's enough noise in the test
that I'm sure how real the would be across different tests.

> At that point, the first array entry fits into the first cacheline. If we were
> to move parent, firstchild, nextchild, name further down the struct, three
> array entries would be on the first line. Just using the array presumably is a
> very common case, so that might be worth it?
>
> I got less clear performance results with this one, and it's also quite
> possible it could hurt, if resowners aren't actually "used", just
> released. Therefore it's probably not worth it for now.

You're assuming that the ResourceOwner struct begins at a cacheline
boundary. That's not usually true, we don't try to cacheline-align it.
So while it's helpful to avoid padding and to keep frequently-accessed
fields close to each other, there's no benefit in keeping them at the
beginning of the struct.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)