Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-11 16:31:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/11/21 11:37 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> > I can't reproduce the NULL using column name text:
>>
>> > test=> SELECT has_column_privilege('test', 'z', 'SELECT');
>> > ERROR: column "z" of relation "test" does not exist
>>
>> That is the way it is supposed to work when the column is specified by name.
>> The patch did not change that in any way.
>
> I am just confused why attribute numbers are handled differently than
> attribute names.

I am not entirely sure, but that boat sailed a long time ago and really
has nothing to do with this patch ;-)

This is the code comment that predates the patch but is the reason
behind the change:

------------
/*
* has_any_column_privilege variants
* These are all named "has_any_column_privilege" at the SQL level.
* They take various combinations of relation name, relation OID,
* user name, user OID, or implicit user = current_user.
*
* The result is a boolean value: true if user has the indicated
* privilege for any column of the table, false if not. The variants
* that take a relation OID return NULL if the OID doesn't exist.
*/

The patch made that last sentence true in the corner cases.

Joe
--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com