Re: misc doc fixes for REL_12_STABLE

From: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: misc doc fixes for REL_12_STABLE
Date: 2019-07-12 09:35:49
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 7/12/19 7:44 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 05:49:26PM +0300, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:
>> Please consider a patch that fixes some trivial issues in new doc fragments
>> (a couple of typos/ambiguities and some tags that affect translation).
> Thanks for the patch. I have one comment.
>
>> - backups. Moreover, because it writes a backup_label file on the
>> - master, it can cause the master to fail to restart automatically after
>> - a crash. On the other hand, the erroneous removal of a backup_label
>> - file from a backup or standby is a common mistake which can result
>> + backups. Moreover, because it creates a backup label file, as
>> + described below, it can block automatic restart of the master server
>> + after a crash. On the other hand, the erroneous removal of this
>> + file from a backup or standby is a common mistake, which can result
>> in serious data corruption. If it is necessary to use this method,
>> the following steps may be used.
> Okay, yes that could be a bit confusing for the reader. Nit: I would
> replace "master" with "primary" while we are in the area. What do you
> think?
>
> But that's the only comment I have, the rest looks good!
> --
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Changing master to primary was my first inclination, but I saw that we
have 8 masters and 4 primaries here. So maybe we should have another
consistency patch (that probably goes beyond this chapter). I can
prepare one if you like.

P.S. I'm not particularly happy about this paragraph either, but that's
as far as I could get without twisting the original ideas.

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com