Re: Error from the foreign RDBMS on a foreign table I have no privilege on

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, euler(at)eulerto(dot)com, philflorent(at)hotmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error from the foreign RDBMS on a foreign table I have no privilege on
Date: 2022-06-10 09:17:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2022-06-10 at 17:17 +0900, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > I am not sure if it worth adding to the documentation.  I would never have thought
> > of the problem if Phil hadn't brought it up.  On the other hand, I was surprised
> > to learn that permissions aren't checked until the executor kicks in.
> > It makes sense, but some documentation might help others in that situation.
>
> +1 for adding such a document.
>
> > I'll gladly leave the decision to your judgement as a committer.
>
> IIRC, there are no reports about this from the postgres_fdw users, so
> my inclination would be to leave the documentation alone, for now.

I understand that you are for documenting the timing of permission checks,
but not in the postgres_fdw documentation. However, this is the only occasion
where the user might notice unexpected behavior on account of the timing of
permission checks. Other than that, I consider this below the threshold for
user-facing documentation.

I'm ok with just doing nothing here, I just wanted it discussed in public.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe