Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb failure with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 / Cygwin 1.3.22-1 /
Date: 2003-05-05 18:47:40
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Frank Seesink wrote:
>>> * For fun, tried 'ipc-daemon &', and it fired up!
>>

>> YA truly amazing occurrence. The above should have failed as follows:
>>
>> $ ipc-daemon
>> (ipc-daemon) IPC-daemon is already started !!
>

> I wonder what would happen if I tried firing it up manually from
> 'Frank'? Let me see if I get this error. Then I'll try running it
> twice as 'postgres'. At this point, anything that might shed light on
> things, even if ever so slightly. [I have to keep thinking of Thomas

FYI: Running

$ ipc-daemon &

from user 'Frank' when CygIPC is already running (as an NT service
under the SYSTEM|Administ context) caused ipc-daemon to fire up and then
die almost immediately with a [Done] message. Original NT service is
still up and running. However, it does NOT show the message you list
above. Thought you should know.

Haven't tried it as 'postgres' yet.