Re: Found small issue with OUT params

From: Mike Rylander <mrylander(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Found small issue with OUT params
Date: 2005-10-01 00:20:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/30/05, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 10:53:22AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >
> > >So you might notice little performance hit bringing back a million rows,
> > >and most of these type of single OUT params functions only return one
> > >row/value anyway.
> > >There would be zero perceivable difference in performance regardless of
> > >the extra overhead for a single value/row.
> >
> > Sounds like we need a test case... up for it?
>
> If there is a performance difference my vote is that we bite the bullet
> for 8.1 and accept the performance hit rather than settle for
> sub-optimal behavior. Much easier to fix the performance penalty down
> the road than to fix the behavior.

What about just returning the single OUT value named by the parameter,
instead of special casing single-OUT functions? If I understand
correctly, Tom has just added a test to make single-OUT functions look
like RETURNS functions. If that were removed then we'd have what, at
least by counting the responses on this thread, seems to be the
desired (and expected) behaviour.

Or I could just be misunderstanding the implementation again.

--
Mike Rylander
mrylander(at)gmail(dot)com