Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch
Date: 2020-05-28 06:39:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-05-27 23:42, Christopher Browne wrote:
> d) systemd is a Controversial System; the folk that seem particularly
> irate about it seem to be "Old Bearded Sysadmins" that hate the idea of
> redoing their understandings of how Unix systems initialize. Personally,
> my feelings are ambivalent; I'm using it where I find some use, and have
> not been displeased with my results.  And since modern systems now have
> USB and network devices added and dropped on a whim, there's a critical
> need for something newer with more dynamic responses than old SysV
> Init.  But I certainly "get" that some aren't so happy with it, and I'm
> not thrilled at the ongoing scope creep that never seems to end.

It is worth noting that systemd did not go for a one-binary-for-all
approach. It has different binaries for different parts of the
functionality. systemctl for controlling services, journalctl for
controlling the journal, etc. Just as a data point to show that there
is no single "new" way to do things.