Re: [Patch] pg_rewind: options to use restore_command from recovery.conf or command line

From: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, vladimirlesk(at)yandex-team(dot)ru, dsarafan(at)yandex-team(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [Patch] pg_rewind: options to use restore_command from recovery.conf or command line
Date: 2019-07-26 17:43:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 7/1/19 5:20 PM, Alexey Kondratov wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On 01.07.2019 15:02, Thomas Munro wrote:
>
>> Hi Alexey,
>>
>> This no longer applies.  Since the Commitfest is starting now, could
>> you please rebase it?
>
> Thank you for a reminder. Rebased version of the patch is attached.
> I've also modified my logging code in order to obey new unified
> logging system for command-line programs commited by Peter (cc8d415117).
>

> Regards

Hi Alexey,

I would like to suggest a couple of changes to docs and comments, please
see the attachment.
The "...or fetched on startup" part also seems wrong here, but it's not
a part of your patch, so I'm going to ask about it on psql-docs separately.

It might also be useful to reword the following error messages:
- "using restored from archive version of file \"%s\""
- "could not open restored from archive file \"%s\"
We could probably say something like "could not open file \"%s\"
restored from WAL archive" instead.

On a more general note, I wonder if everyone is happy with the
--using-postgresql-conf option name, or we should continue searching for
a narrower term. Unfortunately, I don't have any better suggestions
right now, but I believe it should be clear that its purpose is to fetch
missing WAL files for target. What do you think?

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8-0001-pg_rewind-options-to-use-restore_command.patch text/x-patch 20.0 KB