Schema search_path and $user

From: Postgres User <postgres(dot)developer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Schema search_path and $user
Date: 2009-07-06 18:41:52
Lists: pgsql-general

In the docs, I see repeated references to $user in the postgresql.conf
schema search_path setting such as:

search_path = '"$user",public'

But I don't see any info on the meaning of '$user' here. Is $user
some kind of variable within postgresql.conf that refers to the
current user? Can it be replaced with a real group name to control
schema search_paths for specific groups/users?

Thanks.