Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add TAP tests for password-based authentication methods.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add TAP tests for password-based authentication methods.
Date: 2017-03-20 06:30:48
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 03/18/2017 02:55 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
>> Add TAP tests for password-based authentication methods.
>>
>> Tests all combinations of users with MD5, plaintext and SCRAM verifiers
>> stored in pg_authid, with plain 'password', 'md5' and 'scram'
>> authentication methods.
>
> This patch has forgotten two things:
> 1) src/test/authentication/.gitignore.
> 2) A refresh of vcregress.pl to run this test suite on Windows.
> Please find attached a patch to address both issues.

The tests don't actually work on Windows, and will all be skipped if
try. So "vcregress authcheck" as in this patch is pretty useless.

With some effort, we could make it work on Windows. It currently assumes
unix domain sockets, when it rewrites pg_hba.conf - that would need to
use TCP instead. And to make it secure, use a long-enough random
password instead of a hard-coded constant. I'm not volunteering to do
that, though.

- Heikki