Re: Translations contributions urgently needed

From: "Tels" <nospam-pg-abuse(at)bloodgate(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, "Michael Paquier" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Tatsuo Ishii" <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, thom(at)linux(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Translations contributions urgently needed
Date: 2018-02-23 16:05:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, February 22, 2018 11:04 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
>> Please join pgsql-translators(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)
>
> What surprises me about this thread is that apparently the sad state
> of the v10 translations wasn't already discussed on that list?

The list is more or less dead - over the past 6 months there where only
between 1 and 5 messages per month.

> I have no objection to calling for more translation volunteers on
> this list --- in fact, probably it'd be a good idea to call for
> more help on pgsql-general, too. But it doesn't seem like it's
> quite on-topic for -hackers otherwise.

I do think it would be a good idea to at least send a translation summary
once a quarter to the translators list and maybe include hackers and
general - many might not be aware of the 80% rule.

Also an automated summary one ore two months before a major release as a
"call for action" would be good to avoid such mishaps.

Last but not least I'd be able to help with the german translation, but I
have no clear idea how, or what the actual status is. Are German
translators actually needed?

And while I have no problem entering some texts on a website or edit a
file with an editor, the process described here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/nls-translator.html

sounds complicated and leaves me unclear on quite a few things, for
instance how would I submit whatever work I've done? Do I need git? An
account? Where? And how does it all work?

I guess a lot of potential translators who aren't programmers would be
left baffled, too.

Best regards,

Tels