Re: SCRAM in the PG 10 release notes

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SCRAM in the PG 10 release notes
Date: 2017-09-20 00:45:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/19/17 17:55, Jeff Janes wrote:
> I guess I'm late to the party, but I don't see why this is needed at
> all.  We encourage people to use any and all new features which are
> appropriate to them--that is why we implement new features.  Why does
> this feature need a special invitation?

It's not clear to me how an average user would get from the press
release or release notes to upgrading their installation to use
SCRAM-based authentication and passwords. A little bit more guidance
somewhere would be helpful.

The patch that Heikki posted seemed reasonable to me as a starting
point, but there probably needs to be more "how" information somewhere.