question about large databases

From: Sergey Karin <sergey(dot)karin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: question about large databases
Date: 2006-01-27 10:28:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, List!

Some times ago in this list was discussed next question: Which databases are
small and which are large?

The answer was:
1-2 GB - small
50 and around - large

As I think, hundreds of GB and more - very large (VLDB).

How Postgres works with VLDB? And what about speed? Can I expect that
postgres works with VLDB not worse that commertial DBMS (DB2, Oracle,
Informix). Maybe someone have a comparision results of Postgres, DB2, Oracle
and Informix (or postgres and any of commertial DBMS) when this DBMS manage
with VLDB? I will VERY, VERY respect to that man for the information...

My organisation plans to use GIS based on PostGIS/Postgres. As we think,
size of our database can be 50, 100 and more Gb.

Thanks in advance!

Sergey Karin