Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: "Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)" <noriyoshi(dot)shinoda(at)hpe(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com" <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Date: 2021-09-07 10:12:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/09/07 13:09, Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you everyone for comments.
> In the thread [1] that Horiguchi told me about, there is already a review going on about GUC for HugePages memory.
> For this reason, I have removed the new GUC implementation and attached a patch that changes only the message at instance startup.

Thanks for updating the patch!

Even with the patch, there are still some cases where huge pages is
disabled silently. We should report something even in these cases?
For example, in the platform where huge pages is not supported,
it's silently disabled when huge_pages=try.

One big concern about the patch is that log message is always reported
when shared memory fails to be allocated with huge pages enabled
when huge_pages=try. Since huge_pages=try is the default setting,
many users would see this new log message whenever they start
the server. Those who don't need huge pages but just use the default
setting might think that such log messages would be noisy.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center