Re: WIP: About CMake v2

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: About CMake v2
Date: 2017-02-08 21:55:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/8/17 3:52 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> For my own purposes, the only thing that I find seriously annoying about
> the status quo is the amount of time required to run "configure". For
> me, that step is usually comparable to or even more than the time to
> do the build proper, because (a) ccache and (b) multiple CPUs.
> configure isn't parallelizable, and there's probably nothing that
> can be done about that. If CMake offers a substantial improvement
> in configuration time then that would be attractive. Otherwise I'd
> just as soon see us put the effort into making the MSVC scripts more
> robust and able to pull more data from the makefiles.

FWIW, I've had good luck adding -C to configure to cache the output. I'd
guess it's at least 10x faster on my laptop.

Obviously doesn't help if you're doing where you're testing something
that alters config output. In those cases I'll either edit config.cache
and delete the relevant lines or just temporarily move it out of the way
(or just nuke it...).
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)