Re: Python installation selection in Meson

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Python installation selection in Meson
Date: 2023-11-29 13:23:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-11-28 Tu 13:02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I noticed that under meson, the selection of the Python installation
> using the 'PYTHON' option doesn't work completely.  The 'PYTHON'
> option determined the Python binary that will be used to call the
> various build support programs.  But it doesn't affect the Python
> installation used for PL/Python.  For that, we need to pass the
> program determined by the 'PYTHON' option back into the
> find_installation() routine of the python module.  (Otherwise,
> find_installation() will just search for an installation on its own.)
> See attached patch.  I ran this through Cirrus, seems to work.

I noticed when working on the meson/windows stuff that meson would try
to build plpython against its python installation, which failed
miserably. The workaround was to abandon separate meson/ninja
installations via chocolatey, and instead install them using pip. Maybe
this was as a result of the above problem?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan