Re: variables in ad hoc queries

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Iain Barnett <iainspeed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: variables in ad hoc queries
Date: 2009-09-29 12:30:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Iain Barnett <iainspeed(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> If I have a function that returns an integer, how can I use the following
> code outside of a function block?
>
> declare
> _myint int;
>
> begin
> _myint := myfunction( );
> end;

you can...all postgresql functions can be used in queries:

select * from myfunction();

What you are probably bumping into is that previously to 8.4, plpgsql
functions could not be called the short way:
select myfunction();

If this is your problem, the workarounds are to adjust the query, wrap
it with an sql function, or upgrade to 8.4.

merlin