Re: Selling an 8.1 to 8.3 upgrade

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Trutwin <josh(at)trutwins(dot)homeip(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selling an 8.1 to 8.3 upgrade
Date: 2009-04-25 14:38:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Josh Trutwin <josh(at)trutwins(dot)homeip(dot)net> wrote:
> I've been asked to put together a list of reasons to upgrade a db
> from 8.1 to 8.3 and I've looked over the changelog, but they want a
> bullet list of 4-5 top things.  I'm curious what others would say the
> most 5 important updates from 8.1 to 8.3 are.
>
> I can say "performance improvevents" but I'm not sure how to sell
> that better other than listing what's in the release notes.  I also
> think the autovac was greatly improved in these releases as well?  Or
> maybe I'm thinking 8.0 to 8.1?

> Sorry this is so vague, I'm frustrated with this request as I figured
> just the amount of bug-fixes alone would be adequate reasoning.

It's not. There are probably more people using 8.1 than 8.3 and 8.1
has had more time to mature. From bug fix perspective, it's probably
better (aside from some 'broken design' bugs that couldn't be
backpatched, like plan invalidation).

I hate to be the rain cloud here, but you need to sell yourself before
you sell your decision makers. What are you looking for in the newer
releases that will help you write software faster, better, and
cleaner? That is, what are _you_ looking for?

merlin