Re: postgresql 8.3 tps rate

From: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ibrahim Harrani <ibrahim(dot)harrani(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 8.3 tps rate
Date: 2009-01-22 17:14:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 1/22/09, Ibrahim Harrani <ibrahim(dot)harrani(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Is this rate is normal or not? What can I do to improve tps and insert
> performance?
>
> postgresql.conf
>
> shared_buffers = 800MB # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB
> work_mem = 2MB # min 64kB
> maintenance_work_mem = 32MB # min 1MB

I would raise maintenance_work_mem, although it's unrelated to your issue.

> max_connections = 600 # (change requires restart)
> max_fsm_relations = 2000 # min 100, ~70 bytes each
> synchronous_commit = off

Something is very wrong. 40tps is low, even for sata raid 1, but
absolutely terrible with synchronous_commit = off. This suggests you
are problems are read related and not sync related. Can you rerun
pgbench using the custom sql feature, passing insert statements?

Are you sure nothing else is going on/wrong with the box? Can we see a
bonnie++ run?

merlin