Re: MySQL to Postgresql schema conversion

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Sean Davis" <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL to Postgresql schema conversion
Date: 2008-09-30 16:44:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov> wrote:
> There are a number of mysql to postgresql converters available, but
> many of them have significant shortcomings. Has anyone found a tool
> that works well? I am trying to convert a couple of relatively large,
> public schema to postgresql.

It can for the most part be done with text replacement with a good
editor, or use sed. It's not that difficult.

The data is even easier...a lot of times you can import a mysql (data
only) dump directly into postgresql if you pass the right options to
mysqldump.

There are several tools that automate this process. One such tool is
DTS from microsoft. Lately though I see less and less value in things
like this when the same thing can be done with regex/sed.

merlin