Re: Oracle and Postgresql

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Martin Gainty" <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Postgres General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date: 2008-09-15 21:24:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> accessing:
> i *thought* the advantage of creating any SQL procedure/function was the
> entity is stored in procedure cache
> load time:
> Java vs C++ compare here
> http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchmark.html

This is completely off topic as it is, but I can't help it: anyone who
is arguing that Java is faster than C must be oblivious to the fact
that Java internals are *written in C*. If Java was really faster
than C, it would be self hosting, and we would be writing operating
systems, databases, and various other systems level stuff in Java.
(yes, there are a few well known projects, notably lucene, but that's
the exception rather than the rule).

Anybody making the case that Java is faster than C simply doesn't know
how a computer works.

merlin