Re: Is this correct usage of generate_series?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Hiroaki Nakamura" <hnakamur(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is this correct usage of generate_series?
Date: 2008-05-23 12:21:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have seen discussions in the past on the -hackers mailing list about
> deprecating the usage of SRFs in select list, but honestly, I don't see this
> usage being deprecated anytime soon; it's pretty useful, and I would call it
> an extension to the SQL language. And as long as it's nit buggy, and ALA it
> doesn't surprise people in a wrong way, I think such usage will remain.

I think it's useful too...I have a good example of how it can simplify
a query in the archives.

My main gripe with 'SRF in select' is multiple SRF in the select list...

select a(), b() from foo;

The current behavior gives you LCM(a(), b()) * foo records...I think
the expected behavior would be a * b * foo (foo being number of
records in foo).

merlin