Re: Board for developers

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Pgsql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Board for developers
Date: 2007-12-18 02:15:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Dec 17, 2007 3:23 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> >> A page on the developer wiki makes sense to me...
> >
> > The question is how it's visible to companies ?
>
> We already have the pgsql-jobs mailing list. It's normally used for
> postings of job positions, but I think this would also be suitable
> there. Not sure how much visibility that has.

Personally, I think Josh is right in terms of using community
resources to promote developers, beyond what's already there.
Unfortunately the jobs list is better suited for people offering jobs,
not job seekers. Maybe an expansion of the developer section of the
web page might be a good place to indirectly make contact.

If you are looking for consulting work, I would suggest moving your
page to a more of a blog type format, and publish at least
semi-regularly.

Make sure your feed is picked up on postgresql.org, of course :-).
Contract work I know very little about. I suspect it is going to
depend on how well you can leverage your personal contacts. Many
companies are nervous outsourcing DBA work (and in my experience there
is lots of high paying work out there, at least in the U.S.) because
better suited to a long term position.

Being famous as part of the brains behind GIST is certainly something.
Relentless self promotion helps :-).

merlin