Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: mfatticcioni(at)mbigroup(dot)it
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DRBD and Postgres: how to improve the perfomance?
Date: 2007-09-07 12:56:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 9/7/07, Maila Fatticcioni <mfatticcioni(at)mbigroup(dot)it> wrote:
> Obviously, working with the database in DRBD, we had two writes instead
> of only one but we are a bit disappointed about the low results. We
> would like to know if there is any way to improve the performance in
> order to have a 3/4 rate instead of the 1/2 one.

Have you considered warm standby PITR? It achieves essentially the
same thing with very little overhead on the master. The only downside
relative to DRDB is you have to think about the small gap between WAL
file rotations. From what I understand, there is some new stuff
(check out skype skytools) that may help minimize this problem.

merlin