Re: compact flash disks?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "James Mansion" <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compact flash disks?
Date: 2007-03-07 02:12:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 3/7/07, James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> wrote:
> I see that one can now get compact flash to SATA connectors.
>
> If I were to use a filesystem with noatime etc and little non-sql traffic,
> does the physical update pattern tend to have hot sectors that will tend to
> wear out CF?
>
> I'm wondering about a RAID5 with data on CF drives and RAID1 for teh WAL on
> a fast SATA or SAS drive pair. I'm thhinking that this would tend to have
> good performance because the seek time for the data is very low, even if the
> actual write speed can be slower than state of the art. 2GB CF isn't so
> pricey any more.
>
> Just wondering.

me too. I think if you were going to do this I would configure as
raid 0. Sequential performance might be a problem, and traditional
hard drive failure is not. I think some of the better flash drives
spread out the writes so that life is maximized.

It's still probably cheaper buying a better motherboard and stuffing
more memory in it, and a good raid controller.

merlin